Goals, New Year’s Resolutions, and Other Methods to Make 2020 Your Most Magical Year Yet
I’ll be the first one to admit it: I love the entire idea of a fresh start. I also love checking things done off of a list! And a new year always presents the opportunity to write and knock out a new list of goals. Yay!
New year, new you, I always think! So, when it comes to this time of year, I really geek out on the process of assessing my current year relative to my goals/resolutions or whatever benchmark I used for processing my own fragrance of success for myself. (That, and my #1 strength is ‘futuristic’ — so I REALLY love this time of year.)
I’m in the cycle of that assessment and in turn demarcation of my goals for the coming year. In the past, I’ve tried themes, writing goals, NOT writing goals, mind maps, vision boards, and several combinations thereof. What worked for me may or may not work for you. In fact, goal writing for me usually only becomes successful 50–75% of the time each year around my goals. (If you’re achieving 100% of your goals consistently — are you pushing yourself hard enough?) But I love learning about how to improve the art of goal setting for a new year, every year!
Here are my top 20 articles I’ve found that are helping me write and curate my own goals for 2020. If you have others to share, please do in the comments section of this post — I’m always curious about different approaches.
If you’re savvy enough to catch it, you’ll note that some of these articles I’ve curated conflict with one another. I don’t see that as a problem. In fact, I think that’s great! Different strokes for different folks. Do I agree with everything presented below? No. But it’s fun to hear how and why others approach their own goal setting and take from the best hits that do resonate!
2020 Goal & Resolutions Writing — Curation of the Top 20 Best Articles & Approaches
1. Make an accomplishment list nightly: https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/accomplishments-list-motivation-confidence-encouragement.html
2. Make a list of things to be excited about: https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/wxeqvb/resolutions-suck-make-a-list-of-things-to-be-excited-about-instead
3. 7 Podcasts to help you achieve your goals: https://www.fastcompany.com/90446549/these-7-podcasts-will-help-you-achieve-your-2020-goals
4. 2020 goals card: https://payhip.com/b/rdyB & podcast: https://anchor.fm/theedutainer/episodes/Mindful-Monday-A-Tool-to-Think-Ahead-for-2020-e4tm1t
7. Rockstar Guide to Setting Goals in 2020: https://spinsucks.com/entrepreneur/setting-professional-goals/
9. Vision board ideas for 2020: https://www.developgoodhabits.com/vision-board-ideas/
10. 8 CEOs’ goals for 2020: https://www.fastcompany.com/90429667/8-ceos-on-2020-resolutions-theyre-setting-for-their-companies
11. Set 20 for 2020 behaviors next year: https://www.planningmindfully.com/19-for-2019/
12. 20 NY Resolutions for Small Businesses in 2020: https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/new-years-resolutions-for-small-businesses/
13. 5 Things You Must Stop Doing to be more productive in 2020: https://roadtolimitless.com/5-things-you-must-stop-doing-to-be-more-productive-in-2020/
14. Questions to ask yourself to ID the right Goals: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2018/08/22/13-questions-to-ask-yourself-to-identify-the-right-goal/#d560de5355e0
15. 50 Questions to ask yourself to discover your goals: https://www.theexceptionalskills.com/goal-setting-questions/?v=7516fd43adaa
17. 29 NY’s Resolution Ideas: https://daringtolivefully.com/new-year-resolution-ideas
18. NY’s resolutions aren’t helpful — try this instead (strengths inventory): https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/insight-therapy/201912/new-year-s-resolutions-aren-t-helpful-try-instead
19. Find a theme: https://www.themuse.com/advice/better-alternative-new-years-resolutions
20. Find your word: https://www.inc.com/megy-karydes/5-tips-for-choosing-your-word-of-year.html
Good luck! And may the Goal Forces be with you as you plan ahead!
Erin L. Albert is a goals junkie. Opinions here are her own, unless linked to others’ opining.