****CAUTION: There are plenty of (really bad) Peep Puns in this article****
Something made me dust off my own peeps diorama of my classrooms back in 2016 this past weekend and ‘peep in’ on them when I was down in my basement hunting for something else — just to see if they’re still in one piece. I had to create an “Innovations in Teaching” display for my classes in my final year of teaching at Butler University, and I actually did a display with 3 different peeps dioramas of the classes I taught or co-taught for something a little different. The one you see above was of my Entrepreneurship in Healthcare & Life Sciences Final Exam “Shark Tank” pitch day to the outside classroom, real-world entrepreneurs.
I’ve always been fascinated with Peeps dioramas, but then again, I’m a kid who grew up with dollhouses and Barbie’s dream house (no, I personally didn’t have one, I just coveted others’.) I did make along with my family a log cabin dollhouse as part of my 4th grade Pioneer Days too here in Indiana, and I also still have that house to this day. It’s also safely stored in my basement.
Peeps dioramas are always peeping up, er — popping up — in the spring, at the time of year when Peeps treats are readily available at the big box and retail stores. I got hooked on my excitement (Peeps penchant?) each spring for The Washington Post’s Peeps diorama contest. But, they sadly canceled it several years ago now.
However, because it’s spring and peep — er peak — time in stores, I wanted to peep through the internet and see what diorama contests are still ongoing in 2022.
Here’s some of what I found, and I wanted to share it with you (and note that most of the sponsors of these contests are either newspapers, libraries, or parks & rec organizations. Love that too.)
2022 Peeps Diorama Contests in the US
- Carroll County Arts has a Peep Show beginning April 8 in Westminster, MD. (I think this could be the Peep-ficial Peeps contest from the makers of the Peeps themselves.)
- Twin Cities Pioneer Press has a contest through the top of April.
- Library Arts Center of Newport, NH’s Peeps Contest.
- The Dedham Public Library in MA is hosting its second annual Peeps Diorama Contest.
- Cary, IL’s 8th annual Peeps Diorama Contest 2022 has a drop from April 6–8, 2022.
- Longmont Public Library, in Longmont, CO has a book theme this year.
- White County Public Library of Sparta, TN has a video intro on their Peeps Diorama Contest.
- The Bud Werner Memorial Library of Steamboat Springs, CO’s deadline for their diorama is April 9, 2022.
- The Bedford Parks and Recreation Department of Bedford, NH has a Spring Into Peeps Diorama Contest.
- The Mansfield Public Library in Texas has one right now.
- The Chesterfield Township Library of Chesterfield, MI has one in conjunction with National Library Week.
Why am I crazy for a full-on Peeps Diorama Contest?
Aside from the fact that Peeps as candy/consumables seem to be uber controversial, AKA peep-polarizing amongst my friends, and as a confectionary, some believe they make a better art medium.
I’m more excited about a good old-fashioned peeps diorama because it sparks some of my own favorite feelings — creativity, imagination, and wonder. Especially now, 2 years+ post-pandemic, I think we’ve lost some of these peelings (er, feelings) — and it’s time to get back to them.
One. Peep. At. A. Time.
If you have a local Peeps Diorama contest — please support it. Go peep at it. Stop and see/smell the Peeps. It might just bring a little slice of creativity or wonder to you too, this spring. And we could also use a lot more of that right now.
Erin L. Albert is a Peep-geek. Opinions are her own. Please note for the record she has not shared her personal opinion on whether or not Peeps make a better confectionary or art medium at this time — she remains peep-agnostic.